The Bachelor of Science (B.Sc.) degree in Applied Human Nutrition and Dietetics is designed to provide a solid background in the physical and social sciences along with a variety of courses in nutritional sciences, dietetics to allow students to have knowledge and skills required for them to be an effective nutrition and dietetics professionals. The program prepares graduates for careers in nutrition and dietetics. After receiving a Bachelor of Science in nutrition, the completion of a Dietetic Internship (DI) approved by the Dietitians of Oman is necessary for a professional certification in dietetics.
The taught elements of the program comprise an integrated package of University requirements, College requirements, Major requirements and Technical elective courses. All degree students must also complete 15-week course in addition to the taught courses of the program. Level I ENGL 101 English Comm. Skills I English Comm. Skills II Chemistry 1 Human Anatomy and Physiology Chemistry 1 Lab Human Anatomy and Physiology Lab Calculus 1 Organic Chemistry Biology 1 Organic Chemistry Lab I Biology 1 Lab Introduction to Human Nutrition Level II Physics I Islamic Civilization Physics I Lab Sociology Nutrition Through the Lifecycle 1 Microbiology Nutritional Biochemistry Microbiology I Lab Introduction to Food Science Nutrition Through the Lifecycle 2 Principles of Dietetics Arabic 1 Level III Biostatistics Nutritional Epidemiology Nutritional Metabolism Quantity Foods Assessment of Nutrition Status Medical Nutrition Therapy 1 Food Service Management Meal Planning Introduction to Logic Philosophy Nutraceuticals LEVEL IV Dietetic Practicum Dietetic Counseling Internship Community Nutrition Medical Nutrition Therapy 2 Sports Nutrition Entrepreneurship Nutrition Seminar 3Electives Electives Cultural Aspects of Diet Quantity Foods Nutrition Education Emerging Issues in Food Science and Nutrition International Food Situation
The conditions for admission to the program, the student must have of the following:
• General Education Diploma or high school diploma. All of them are general certificates in the same specialization, and do not need to be equivalent to the Ministry of Education.
• Certificate issued from outside the Sultanate (need to be equivalent to the Ministry of Education in the Sultanate).
• Certificate issued from within the Sultanate and under the supervision of others other than the Ministry of Education (need to be equivalent from the Ministry of Education).
• High school percentage of 60% or above. Also, Obtaining 60 % or above in the following subjects: English, Physics, Chemistry and Biology. The student must pass part of the foundation program (mathematics, computer, and learning skills) as a general requirement for all students before starting the program.
Graduates of this program in Applied Human Nutrition and Dietetics will be prepared as entry-level Registered Dietitians for future practice in the field of nutrition and dietetics with attitudes, understandings, and skills that will allow them to analyze critically and meet the diverse needs of individuals and/or society. The program provides graduates with the knowledge and tools to develop skills necessary to develop into leaders in the field and to translate and apply the science of applied human nutrition and dietetics to Omani population. This program will prepare students to be the following:
• Clinical Dietitians in hospitals and in health facility settings
• Nutrition Educators
• Public Health Nutritionists in Ministry of Health and Ministry of Municipalities
• Foodservice Administrators
• Nutrition Consultants in different ministries, academic and research institutions and nutraceuticals industries