Chemistry is an experimental as well as theoretical science where process and concept mastery are highly important. It is an important asset that is needed for the creation of a sustainable, more affluent and wiser society through the designing and synthesis of new multifunctional materials/substances, the discovery of new structures and the investigation of functions based on acquired knowledge. In the 21st century, the demand for chemistry have diversified and increased. In order to respond to these demands, it requires a diversified approach on chemical education and chemical research. In the modern era, we can only respond to the expectations and demands from the society when the fundamental chemical knowledge that produces new multifunctional materials such as water purification and separation membranes, energy storage and harvesting materials, optoelectronic materials, electronic display materials, biomaterials, artificial nucleic acid and neurons etc. is directly related to improving the efficiency and the productivity of devices. The industrial production of those materials is linked to chemistry throughout directly or indirectly.
• General Education Diploma or high school diploma. • Certificate issued from outside the Sultanate (need to be equivalent to the Ministry of Education in the Sultanate). • Certificate issued from within the Sultanate and under the supervision of others other than the Ministry of Education (need to be equivalent from the Ministry of Education). • High school percentage of 65% or above and 70 % or above in Physics or Chemistry. • The student must pass part of the foundation program (mathematics, computer, and learning skills) as a general requirement for all students before starting the program. Students who have studied in other educational institutions recognized by the University may be eligible to transfer if the transfer student has earned a grade point average of 2.0 or higher over a four-point grade scale; however, special cases may be considered if the GPA is lower than 2.0 provided it is at or above 1.0. The head or dean of the academic department in which the student has enrolled shall evaluate all courses taught at the former University in which the student earned a grade of C or higher. Diploma The taught elements of the program comprise an integrated package of University requirements, College requirements, Major requirements and Technical elective courses.
• English Communication Skills I • Chemistry I • Chemistry I Lab • Calculus I • Biology I • Biology I Lab • Green Chemistry • Islamic • Civilization • Chemistry II • Chemistry II • Lab • Calculus II • English Skills II • Physics I • Physics I Lab
• Organic Chemistry I • Organic Chemistry I Lab • Inorganic Chemistry I • Entrepreneurship • Statistics • Analytical Chemistry I • Analytical Chemistry I Lab • Polymer Chemistry • Polymer Chemistry Lab • Arabic • Industrial Chemistry • Industrial Chemistry Lab • Environmental Chemistry
• Food Chemistry and Analysis • Chemical Process Economics and Sustainable • Mechanics And Thermodynamics • Differential Equations After completing this program, the students will be able to: • Gain an understanding of the prospects of industrial chemistry carrier and building students’ positive attitudes in industry profession and ethics to improve industry quality. • Design effective plans for judging the value of a subject for a specific purpose. • Develop skills in analysing the laboratory samples from the manufacture for evaluation purposes. • Apply sophisticated technology in courses such as Nano-technology to improve chemical materials and their products. • Evaluate and judge the chemical industry in the Sultanate of Oman and compare it with other countries at regional and international levels. • Create an entrepreneur business in industrial chemistry to increase manufacture production. • Improve industrial materials through applied research.
·Attainment of 65% or above in General Education Diploma
·Attainment of 70% or above in Physics or Chemistry.
·The student must pass the general foundation program (mathematics, computer, and study skills)
·Students who have studied in other educational institutions recognized by the University may be eligible to transfer if the transfer student has earned a grade point average of 2.0 or higher over a four-point grade scale; however, special cases may be considered if the GPA is lower than 2.0 provided it is at or above 1.0. The head or dean of the academic department in which the student has enrolled shall evaluate all courses taught at the former University in which the student earned a grade of C or higher.
Graduates can work in the following locations:
1. Entrepreneurs Graduates in industrial chemistry can initiate and operate small to medium scale industries in:chemical synthesis Chemical processing Polymer, Paint and plastic material factoryNon-polymeric materials productionMetal refining and alloy industrySupporting the formulation of pharmaceutical industriesSynthesis for active pharmaceutical ingredients (APIs)Oil extraction and processingFat extraction and processingSoap and sanitary products including cosmetics, etc.
2. Government /Private agencies,Analytical Chemist , Laboratory Chemist , Production Chemist
3. Academic institution (Schools and Colleges)Lab TechnicianResearch Assistant.
A’Sharqiyah University (ASU) is a private institution of higher education located in the north of the A’Sharqiyah region of the Sultanate of Oman. It is located in Ibra 150 km from Muscat, the capital. It was established in 2009 by Ministerial Decision (78/2009) issued by the Ministry of Higher Education.