- Food Science and Human Nutrition
- Marine Science and Fisheries
Medical Lab Sciences
Thuraya Al Harthy
Assistant Professor - Chemistry
College of Applied Sciences
|Name:||Thuraya Al Harthy|
|Job Title:||Assistant Professor - Chemistry|
|College:||College of Applied Sciences|
I am Thuraya Salim Al-Harthy assistant professor in chemistry. I received my bachelor degree from Sultan Qaboos University (SQU) in Educational Science in Chemistry major and biology minor in 2009. One year later, I pursued my study in Chemistry Department, College of Science, at SQU, for Master degree and graduated in 2014. After four years I owned my PhD in 2018 from the SQU in organic chemistry field. During my master and PhD study, I worked as teaching assistant in the Chemistry labs as a part of my scholarship duty which enriched me with experience in teaching and communicating with students.
In February 2018, I worked as a part-timer at A’Sharqiyah University (ASU) for one semester before I re-join ASU as full time as assistant professor in Basic Sciences Department in September 2018.
- Ph.D. Organic Chemistry, Sultan Qaboos University (SQU), Oman (January 2018)
Dissertation title: "Design, synthesis, and antimicrobial evaluation of benzazoles incorporating fluorine and piperazine moieties"
- M.Sc. Chemistry (course and research master’s program) Sultan Qaboos University (SQU) (January 2014)
Dissertation title: "Synthesis and anti-tumor activity of 5-fluoro-2-methyl-6-(4-(substituted-phenyl)piperazin-1-yl) benzoxazoles"
- B.Ed. Chemistry / Biology, Sultan Qaboos University (SQU) (June 2009)
My research area of interest is in designing heterocyclic compounds that are expected to possess biological activities. During my work, several skeletons of heterocycles has been synthesized and developed e.g. benzoxazoles, benzimidazoles, and benzothiazoles as core structures and combined with piperazine and fluorine moieties to evaluate their biological activities.
- Al-Harthy, T.S.; Al-Sadi, A., Zoghaib, W., Moghadam, E., Stoll, R., & Abdel-Jalil, R. Design, synthesis and bioactivity of benzimidazole-2-carbamates as soil-borne anti-fungal agents 2020. Published: 13 November 2020 by MDPI in The 24th International Electronic Conference on Synthetic Organic Chemistry Session Bioorganic, Medicinal and Natural Products Chemistry. sciforum
- Al-Harthy, T.S.; W. Zoghaib, and R. Abdel-Jalil. "Importance of Fluorine in Benzazole Compounds." Molecules (Basel, Switzerland) 2020, 25, 20. https://doi.org/10.3390/molecules25204677
- Al-Harthy, T. S.; Shongwe, M. S.; Husband, J.; Stoll, R.; Merz, K.; Abdel-Jalil, R. J. Spectroscopic characterization, crystallographic elucidation and DFT investigation of 5-fluoro-6-(4-methylpiperazin-1-yl)benzo[d]thiazol-2-amine. Journal of Molecular Structure 2019, 1176, 614-621. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.molstruc.2018.08.080
- Al-Harthy, T.; Zoghaib, W. M.; Stoll, R.; Abdel-Jalil, R. Design, synthesis, and antimicrobial evaluation of novel 2-arylbenzothiazole analogs bearing fluorine and piperazine moieties, Monatshefte für Chemie -Chemical Monthly 2018, 149, 645. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00706-017-2088-4
- Schöpel, M.; Potheraveedu, V. N.; Al-Harthy, T.; Abdel-Jalil, R.; Heumann, R.; Stoll, R. The small GTPases Ras and Rheb studied by multidimensional NMR spectroscopy: structure and function. Biological chemistry 2017, 398, 577-588. https://doi.org/10.1515/hsz-2016-0276
- Al-Harthy, T.; Zoghaib, W. M.; Pflüger, M.; Schöpel, M.; Önder, K.; Reitsammer, M.; Hundsberger, H.; Stoll, R.; Abdel-Jalil, R., Design, Synthesis, and Cytotoxicity of 5-Fluoro-2-methyl-6-(4-aryl-piperazin-1-yl) Benzoxazoles. Molecules 2016, 21,1290-1301. https://doi.org/10.3390/molecules21101290
- Al-Harthy, T., Abdel-Jalil, R., Zoghaib, W., Pflüger, M., Hofmann, E., Hundsberger, H., Design and Synthesis of Benzothiazole Schiff Bases of Potential Antitumor Activity. Heterocycles 2016, 92, 1282-1292. https://doi.org/10.3987/COM-16-13471
- Abdel-Jalil, R. J., Steinbrecher, T., Al-Harthy, T., Mahal, A., Abou-Zied, O. K., Voelter, W., Stereoselective synthesis and molecular modeling of chiral cyclopentanes. Carbohydrate Research 2015, 415, 12-16. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.carres.2015.07.012
His Majesty Trust Fund, grant number SR/SCI/CHEM/19/01, Development of novel fungicides for the management of soil borne fungal diseases of vegetables in Oman with the team at SQU, Raid J. Abdel-Jalil, Abdullah Al-Sadi, Issa Al-Mahmooli, Dr. Qais S. Al-Mawaali, Dr. Younis Baqi.