A’Sharqiyah University (ASU) is a private institution of higher education located in the north of the A’Sharqiyah region of the Sultanate of Oman. It is located in Ibra 150 km from Muscat, the capital. It was established in 2009 by Ministerial Decision (78/2009) issued by the Ministry of Higher Education. The University co-operates with Oklahoma State University and Texas Technological University in the U.S.A, in areas such as design of academic programs and their implementation according to best international standards.
ASU is fortunate to be a new University, unfettered by history, and evolving at a time of unprecedented developments in scientific discovery and new educational technology, enabling us to apply innovative scholarship to problems in the range of applied sciences disciplines.
ASU started operations in the Fall of 2010, with students in three colleges, namely, Business Administration, Engineering and Applied Sciences. The total number of students at present is 2113.
A’ Sharqiyah University is comprised of three Colleges, Business Administration, Engineering and Applied Sciences
Goals and Objectives:
- Promulgating high quality and modern knowledge and the consolidation of life-long learning skills which not only implant ability to learn in learners, but make them fond of learning.
- Creating an educated society which is characterized by academic excellence, thinking originality, practical implementation of knowledge and civilized behavior. The University aims, in the same time, at the continuous development of academic programs and activities to assure the sustainability of excellence that enables it to compete.
- Producing knowledge of an international standard through academic and scientific research based on commitment to the highest ethical criteria.
- Encouraging researches and consultative studies relevant to the needs of local communities which directly contribute to economic and social development and meet the requirements of the market in both public and private sectors.
- Preparing students to join labor markets or postgraduate study programs from several locations and through various techniques to meet economic and social needs which witness continuous variations in the Sultanate of Oman, the Arab region and other parts of the world.
- Realizing fame and reputation for the University based on academic excellence, autonomy and commitment to its principles through the achievement of its graduates and their integrity and devotion.
- Attracting distinguished teaching and administrative staff who work through close follow up and continuous guidance to students to inspire them to achieve the highest possible level of achievements.
- Strengthening relationship with the society through propagation of knowledge, continuous learning programs and training as well as cultural and social activities.
- Cooperating with the local, regional and international academic societies to exchange experiences and to enrich knowledge, thought and culture.
Colleges and Programs:
The University started with three colleges, namely, College of Business Administration, College of Engineering, and College of Applied Sciences. The University future plan is to open another two colleges: the College of Medicine and Health Sciences and the College of Graduate studies.
College of Business Administration:
- Accounting and Finance
- Management Information Systems.
College of Engineering:
- Environmental Engineering.
- Civil Engineering.
- Construction Engineering.
- Electronics and Communications Engineering.
College of Applied Sciences:
- Food Science and Human Nutrition.
- Fisheries and Marine Science
University academic programs follow the credit hours system. Programs which lead to a bachelor degree require total credit hours ranging between 123 and 137 and those for diploma require total credit of 66 to 77 hours. The academic year consists of two sixteen-week semesters and an optional eight-week summer session. English is the medium of instruction at the University.